Emphysema cannot be cured, but some treatments can help slow its progression and reduce its symptoms.
Treatments for emphysema vary depending on the severity of the disease and other factors like age, health, medical history and smoking habits. Working in environments with lots of dust, chemicals and pollution also affects your diagnosis and treatment.
In many cases of early-stage emphysema in smokers, the best treatment is to quit smoking.
Common emphysema treatments
Depending on your diagnosis, your emphysema treatment may include:
- Bronchodilators – Bronchodilators help relax the muscles in the airways of your lungs, which should assist with your ability to breathe more clearly.
- Steroids – Steroids help fight inflammation in the airways, but they produce undesirable side-effects, such as easy bruising and acne. They are typically used by patients who have frequent flare-ups of emphysema symptoms.
- Antibiotics – Emphysema symptoms are worsened by other lung infections, such as pneumonia. If you contract another lung infection, antibiotics should help fight it and assist with your ability to breathe clearly while sick.
- Oxygen therapy – Severe emphysema inhibits your body’s ability to get the necessary amounts of oxygen. In these cases, you may need oxygen support. Some patients only need a few minutes of oxygen therapy per day, while others require round-the-clock supplemental oxygen.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation – A pulmonary rehabilitative therapist can help manage the symptoms of emphysema by educating the patient, providing nutritional guidance and developing exercise habits that help your lungs function. Natural COPD treatments from the Lung Health Institute.
At the Lung Health Institute, we offer treatments aimed at empowering your body’s natural ability to fight inflammation. Some of our treatments include:
- Anti-Inflammatory Initiative™ (Ai²™); – The goal of AI² is to introduce the right nutrients into your life to help reduce inflammation. There are three different levels of AI² plans to help meet the needs of different patients.
- Lung Restoration Treatment™ – Our Lung Restoration Treatment™ uses your body’s own blood cells to target lung disease and assist in reducing inflammation.
Would you like to talk with someone at the Lung Health Institute about finding the right treatment for your emphysema? Contact us today to speak with a patient coordinator and set up your first appointment.