Traditionally, Caprese salad is made with tomatoes, basil and balsamic vinegar. However, people who have a chronic lung disease like chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) should consider swapping out the balsamic vinegar with red wine vinegar. This is because balsamic vinegar is loaded with carbs that may increase inflammation. In fact, it often has up to 43 grams of carbs per serving.
To help you get your Caprese salad fix, our Lung Health Institute health care team has rewritten the classic recipe to include a more lung-healthy dressing, red wine vinegar. Red wine vinegar still offers the same tang to Caprese salad, but it has zero grams of carbs per serving. It also contains antioxidant compounds called polyphenols that can help fight inflammation. We’ve also added some avocado to our recipe to give this dish a boost of healthy fats. In addition to the many helpful vitamins, minerals, healthy fats and antioxidants contained in the tomatoes, avocado, basil and extra virgin olive oil, the benefits of red wine vinegar help make our Caprese salad a tasty lunch or dinner option.
PREP TIME | 5 minutes
SERVINGS | 1
Protein: 17 grams
Fat: 37 grams
Carbs: 9 grams
- 1 ripe tomato, cored and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 ripe Haas avocado, sliced
- 4 ounces fresh buffalo mozzarella*
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Lay alternating slices of tomato, mozzarella and avocado around the outside edge of a plate. You should have enough remaining to make a second circle in the center of the plate.
- Drizzle with olive oil and a few splashes of vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and top with basil.
- Serve immediately.
At Lung Health Institute, we’re committed to helping patients with chronic lung diseases eat in ways that can boost their lung health. That is why we offer 3 Anti-Inflammatory Initiative™ plans that contain lots of lung-healthy recipes and other information designed to support lung health. Take the next step to experience relief.
Take the next step to find relief. Contact Lung Health Institute today for more information or to schedule a free consultation at 855-882-1292.
* NOTE: BUF free-range, grass-fed buffalo mozzarella is a good option to purchase for this recipe.