In light of modern medicine, herbal remedies are easily dismissable as tools of the past. However, herbs still have many uses for helping people deal with symptoms of all kinds of medical conditions, including COPD. Plus, many of them taste good too, so we’re sure you’ll love including them in your diet.
It’s a good idea to stick to the treatment plan that your physician prescribes for you if you have COPD, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t include some herbal treatments. The right herbs and blends can help you breathe better and improve the effectiveness of your traditional medical treatments.
What herbs are good for people with COPD?
A lot of different herbs possess many qualities that may benefit people with COPD and other lung conditions. Here are a few that you may want to check out:
- Thyme — The oils in thyme have been shown to help clear away some amounts of mucus. It may also help the muscles in the airways relax a little, though the difference is not big enough for you to completely replace your medication with thyme alone.
- Red sage — This herb is an antioxidant that can help keep the inner lining of your blood vessels from wearing down when the oxygen level in your blood is low.
- Ginseng — Some studies have shown ginseng to help improve your ability to breathe and resume physical activity.
- English Ivy — English ivy can help improve your ability to breathe when your airways are obstructed by inflammation. Be sure that you are not allergic to English Ivy before using it to supplement your treatment.
- Curcumin — This is a component of turmeric that has been shown to help reduce inflammation in airways.
The research on the effectiveness of these herbs is not conclusive across the board. While some studies have revealed certain benefits of these herbs, others report no significant results. If you’re not allergic to any of these herbs, you might as well add them to your diet on the chance that they can actually help you. But, remember, they are not a replacement for your prescribed treatments.
Contact the Lung Health Institute for treatment
One treatment that is verifiably making a difference in the lives of those who have COPD is Lung Restoration Treatment™. This is a treatment that uses concentrated forms of your own cells to target lung disease and reduce inflammation. It has improved the lung function of more than 85 percent of our thousands of patients.
Take the next step to find relief. Contact Lung Health Institute today for more information or to schedule a free consultation.